GOTO 2017 • Meeting Resistance and Moving Forward • Linda Rising
- Confirmation Bias (Peter Wason's)
- Backfire Effect - when you argue using facts and evidence, people simply reject or discount information..., and cling even more firmly to their views... correcting people INCRESES erroneous beliefs.
- Cognitive Dissonace - Contradictory "evidence" causes sever cognitive discomfort
- Fear Less - listen with the intent to understand, not with the intent to do battles.
- Rationalization - it's the first to prepare, because it's handy
- Personal Touch - what's in it for me? Understand what that person is feeling ("Data does not equal empathy")
- Trial Run - we resist change but we like to try new things we can have some measure of control - influence strategies of commitment & consistency
- Listen, Listen, Listen
- Movement - Let's go for a work ("move", "same point of view", ...)
- Ask for Helo (aka Ben Franklin effect) - ask for advice, a favor, a loan
- When to stop discussion - Is there something I can prove or demonstrate that would male you stop believing in ? Ask yourself this question